To be or not to be.

September 27, 2014

That was the question.

Hayden Creek Farm greeted the world with a front storm door that screamed for the dumpster. Covered with lead paint  and sealed shut with duct tape, it caused many reality based professionals to shake their heads and say,

“Not worth saving.”

Let’s open it and see what was on the inside-

another junky door, screaming for the dumpster, and a darling boy!

The interior

door boasted

a unique

gum-stuffed

keyhole

to keep out

the chilly

winter breezes.

Contrary to my reality based friends, I saw through the outer door screams into the inner door charms where character resides- which can not be bought new. So, I made a promise to the doors- that had been-

“I will save you.”

The interior door came together quite easily. After our builder inserted weather proof glass, all it needed was a little sanding and some paint.

Thrilled with this door, I ignored my promise of life to the storm door. Then one day, Summer changed to Fall. A chill wind waltzed across the prairie, and hmm…

a chill wind waltzed through our dining room as well. I knew it wasn’t the keyhole- the gum was still there.

It was the storm door reminding me of my promise. So I sanded and sanded and sanded some more-

and now that it is saved,

it gratefully stops that prairie wind from waltzing in our interior.

And the charm?

And the character?

It is dripping!!

So, this was not how the story ended……………………………………it was only a new beginning!

DSCN1916

In

all

endings,

search

for

the

new

beginning.

It will bring you joy.

I love this blog! It really makes me see the beauty in the things around me.

2. lisa szeles says:

amazing

3. Eddie Two Hawks says:

By the looks of it somebody has great talent and time to refinish this fine house. Good job well done!
    Thank you very much for following and opening the door to this refinished home and your exciting blog. Eddie

4. Eddie Two Hawks says:

You are too kind. To master oneself is great achievement. This is my journey

5. oak cove resort says:

Wow. What a trip! I A door your work. The house is reborn. Beyond lovely. a Treasure with water cress lace.

6. pilipala51 says:

What a transformation. Well done! it looks beautiful.

Wow, talk about creative vision! You’ve got it in spades. Kudos on saving this old house!