November 15, 2014

After weeks of nothing but muted shades of brown, the prairie is now bursting with beauty! DSCN4080

Since it is opening day of gun season, I am dressed like a gaudy neon orange sign. I thought the bright color
would scare all creatures away, but I am surprised how easy it is to spot them against the blanket of white.

I finally got a photograph of the elusive ducks near the spring at the back of the pond!

This  almost hit me as it sailed by- only inches from my head!

It was surprised by the ice on the pond. For when it landed, it slid, like a child on a toboggan, across the
glassy surface until finally breaking through a small patch of thin ice.

And there it stayed for quite some time apparently dazed by the theatrical landing. I believe it is called a
common merganser, although it is not ‘common’ to me as this was the first time I have ever seen one.

Here is another uncommon site on the prairie:

It’s true. For the past few weeks, I have not had any peacock visitors and feared the continuation of this
blog. After all, what good is a Peacock Prairie blog without the peacocks? I was so happy to see Chester
today- I fed him homemade oatmeal-cranberry cookies.

I am sure he loved them.

How do I know? He is currently roosting in a new spot for the night- a nearby tree!

I am so glad he didn’t reject me. I get enough of that in my mailbox. He will definitely be getting more
cookies in the future.

Isn’t he stunning?

Isn’t life grand?!

1. Tom Richardson says:

You are beautiful too!

Sent from my iPhone

2. Julie's garden blog says:

What a wonderful post! Oh the snow looks fabulous .. Just love the pics and your handsome boy Chester glad he has come home. Bring out those biscuits! 🙂

3. Beleaguered Servant says:

These pictures are amazing. Thank you for posting this.

4. amaryllislog says:

Winter is certainly in the midwest! Your pictures are beautiful!

Hello Chester!

5. Jewels says:

Lovely captures!

6. Penny says:

Wonderful!! Very cool re the skating bird. And I’m glad Chester Arthur decided to come over for cookies. 😉

7. Betsy Palasinski says:

This post is just what I needed to remind me, even when we have entered into this cold wintery season life is beautiful.

Thanks for continuing your blog. It is a wonderful part of my day.

9. Bower Richard says:

I’ve been lookimg at your blog for several weeks now after your Dad alerted it to me. Enjoying them very much. I’ve been trying to think who said: “Nature is our first bible”. That is what comes to mind when I partake of your wonderful pictures. THANK YOU FOR SHAREING. DICK BOWER

10. bentehaarstad says:

Wonderful photes, I enjoyd them very much. And the crisp light.