Acceptance

November 15, 2014

After weeks of nothing but muted shades of brown, the prairie is now bursting with beauty! DSCN4080

Since it is opening day of gun season, I am dressed like a gaudy neon orange sign. I thought the bright color
would scare all creatures away, but I am surprised how easy it is to spot them against the blanket of white.

I finally got a photograph of the elusive ducks near the spring at the back of the pond!

This  almost hit me as it sailed by- only inches from my head!

It was surprised by the ice on the pond. For when it landed, it slid, like a child on a toboggan, across the
glassy surface until finally breaking through a small patch of thin ice.

And there it stayed for quite some time apparently dazed by the theatrical landing. I believe it is called a
common merganser, although it is not ‘common’ to me as this was the first time I have ever seen one.

Here is another uncommon site on the prairie:

It’s true. For the past few weeks, I have not had any peacock visitors and feared the continuation of this
blog. After all, what good is a Peacock Prairie blog without the peacocks? I was so happy to see Chester
today- I fed him homemade oatmeal-cranberry cookies.

I am sure he loved them.

How do I know? He is currently roosting in a new spot for the night- a nearby tree!

I am so glad he didn’t reject me. I get enough of that in my mailbox. He will definitely be getting more
cookies in the future.

Isn’t he stunning?

Isn’t life grand?!

Thanks

for

visiting.

You

are

beautiful!

1. Tom Richardson says:

You are beautiful too!

Sent from my iPhone

2. Julie's garden blog says:

What a wonderful post! Oh the snow looks fabulous .. Just love the pics and your handsome boy Chester ..so glad he has come home. Bring out those biscuits! 🙂

3. Beleaguered Servant says:

These pictures are amazing. Thank you for posting this.

4. amaryllislog says:

Winter is certainly in the midwest! Your pictures are beautiful!

Hello Chester!

5. Jewels says:

Lovely captures!

6. Penny says:

Wonderful!! Very cool re the skating bird. And I’m glad Chester Arthur decided to come over for cookies. 😉

7. Betsy Palasinski says:

This post is just what I needed to remind me, even when we have entered into this cold wintery season life is beautiful.

Thanks for continuing your blog. It is a wonderful part of my day.

9. Bower Richard says:

Julie,
    I’ve been lookimg at your blog for several weeks now after your Dad alerted it to me. Enjoying them very much. I’ve been trying to think who said: “Nature is our first bible”. That is what comes to mind when I partake of your wonderful pictures. THANK YOU FOR SHAREING. DICK BOWER

10. bentehaarstad says:

Wonderful photes, I enjoyd them very much. And the crisp light.