A Revelation

January 14, 2015

I’ve had a revelation, and surprisingly, it relates to dirty laundry. I know the phrase ‘dirty laundry’ has
multiple meanings, but I am referring to everyday, old-fashioned, dirty laundry- that which sits in piles and
rapidly multiplies.

A strong East wind surprised us with this pile of snow obstructing our morning view.

My feelings about laundry are similar to my feelings about snow in March-

not again,

go away,

if I never see your piles again, I will be very happy.

When I see historical pictures of women vigorously beating dirty laundry, I think…………I could do that.

Just imagine the satisfaction-

how dare you show up here again,

take that……

and that…….

and that!

red- bellied woodpecker eating peanut butter suet

I’m kidding, but it illustrates my feelings about a chore that often requires my attention.

Recently, a friend made a comment that really ruffled my feathers. She said…

“I enjoy doing laundry!”

What??

I didn’t know people like her existed, but as she talked about the fresh, clean smell of it, I sensed her sincerity. What
am I missing?
I thought.

It occurred to me, her view makes more sense. Finding joy in a required and repetitive chore is much better than finding
drudgery which is like living in a leaky houseboat.  I will change, I decided, and follow a new path.

January’s chilly stillness stretches time providing me ample opportunity to develop a new habit. I will
search diligently for joy in dirty laundry and hope by Spring to have a new outlook.

Adding even a teaspoon of joy to the recipe of repetitive laundry
will surely improve the flavor of my life.

You

are

your

own

cook-

add

what

you

will.

1. Mother Hen says:

A good read for this morning! Yes, be in the moment and enjoy each day as it comes..You have said it well…

2. Larry Oppliger says:

There is a sermon there ! Wonderful ! Also a wonderful lesson in mindfullness. Keep them coming. Peace,
    Larry Oppliger

I was going to call and say I miss my son, but not his dirty piles of clothes. You made me rethink this. After a bit I realized I was right. I miss my son but not his dirty piles of clothes.

Liked by 2 people

4. Julie's garden blog says:

Oh my, i loathe doing laundry too! Damn .. It seems to grow while you stand and watch. I actually dont mind vacuuming, must be something wrong with me! Lovely white pics 🙂

5. Marla aka Crazy Mom says:

Beautiful post and pictures! The one aspect of laundry I like is WHEN the weather permits hanging it outside on the clothesline.

6. Tilly Frueh says:

I completely agree with Crazy Mom — I love my clothesline. My mother put one in her basement for winter hanging, but it just isn’t the same as hanging the laundry outside, watching it snap in the wind, bringing in the clothes full of the fresh air scent. I hang clothes outside until the temps go below 45 and then anxiously await the return of warmer weather. Can’t say that I love doing laundry all the time, but I do enjoy the sense of accomplishment it always gives me when I finish all the laundry and the laundry room is empty.

7. Apple Hill Cottage says:

I think it helps to make the area around the washer as pleasant as possible. I bought a cheap new area rug last fall and it improved my attitude greatly. I think that’s why those cherry red washers and dryers are so popular! 😀

8. nataliescarberry says: