Birds of a Feather

May 21, 2015

Today, I met with a group of birders from the land conservancy for a nature hike.

This was my first experience with birders.

I have often wondered about them. What kind of breed are they? Would we have anything in common?

It was like falling into a pot of kindred spirits.

We hiked slowly, naming birds by their song, to Mud Lake. The leader then announced some prefer to call the lake, Julie Lake, over Mud Lake, because of it’s beauty. Things were off to a great start.

In case you don’t know, I am Julie.

I brought my camera, but expected only flower and landscape shots with such a large group disturbing the peace. I was pleasantly surprised by the quiet of the group. This was not a group interested in mindless chit-chat. They wanted to hear the birdsong, as much as I.

When the leader let out some avian trills, I was thrilled to realize he spoke bird and spoke it very well.

He pointed out this yellow warblers nest in the fragrant autumn olive.

yellow warbler

We watched a determined tree swallow, hoping for a feather bed, attempt to insert a swan feather into it’s nesting hole.

The leader pointed out a baltimore oriole nest, suspended from a tree, overlooking Julie Lake.

DSCN7773IMG_1399

If I were a bird, I would choose to live here. Aptly named, Julie Lake surely was a beauty.

I discovered it’s more fun birding in a group because another’s knowledge can fill in the blanks. I also discovered I have more blanks than I thought; others heard what I would have missed.

This is not a great picture because of the distance, but the sight of this rarely seen scarlet tanager was the perfect ending to a perfect morning.

May

feathers

fill

your

fancy.

Thanks

for

visiting.

Love this! I think you need to use “Lake Julie” in the title of a book. It suits you perfectly and is much better than Mud Lake.

2. amaryllislog says:

Julie Lake, how lovely! I think I would like this tribe too! Your pictures are amazing! But did you find feathers?!

Sounds like this would have been right up my alley. Glad you found some kinfolk to share nature with. Your photos are wonderful!

Of course you would have everything in common with birders, Julie. Usual excellent, well seen photos.

I would have loved this walk, too. What beautiful surroundings. Birders are usually lovely to walk with because they don’t want to scare the wildlife away. I find that they delight in seeing most birds, whether common or rare. Excellent photos, Julie. πŸ™‚

That is an excellent point and so true. They did find the chickadee as delightful as the warbler. If I weren’t human, I am pretty sure I would love being a bird. Sometimes I wonder– What kind would I choose? Maybe, I will post on that sometime. Thanks for your visit.

6. wendy@chezchloe says:

I use to not really get the whole birding thing. But I have to admit the movie The Long Year, was that it? With Steve Martin – really made me reconsider my original thoughts. It’s on my bucket list to learn more when I have time for bringing in a new hobby:)

7. mk says:

Julie, thank you so much for your recent visit & “like”. It caused me stop by your place, and discover this wonderful post — it’s like a lovely garden filled with gentle people. Like the bird walk you’ve describe here. Thank you!

8. Fabio says:

A superb post, Julie! Writing and photos are so well intertwined that it seems that we are part of your group! The photos are fantastic and the text follows along. Bravo, my friend! πŸ™‚

Thanks Fabio. It was a great day and so much fun to share it with the world. Your kind words make me glad you are a part of my world. πŸ™‚