Peace in the Garden

June 24, 2015

When I was a teenager Grandma used to tell me, “Don’t worry about what other people think because other people are busy thinking about themselves.”

IMG_1965

Now that I am an adult, I confess, sometimes I do worry about what other people think.

IMG_2029

Knowing my faults and limitations,

0001nb

the rare honeybee on a rare milkweed

my mind weaves a web of misconstrued judgment.

000104

Great Blue Heron smelling something fishy.

When I eventually learn the truth of what others think,

IMG_1903

more often than not,

0001sY

killdeer

I learn they think me beautiful.

IMG_2049

check out this Great Spangled Fritillary’s proboscis (tongue)

Peace has left my vegetable garden behind the barn.

I risked my life to show you why. . .

0001je

baby barn swallows

Aren’t they adorable?

We are kindred spirits, for I, too, love old barns. There is but one problem.

IMG_2082

Their dive-bombing parents seem intent on scalping me and do not recognize my kindredness.

They mistake my intentions for harm,

yet I only think them beautiful.

Here is more beautiful. . .

Look

what

Chester

did!

Thanks for visiting

Peacock Prairie.

1. Trini Lind says:

Oh, what a gorgeous post ❤ I love it 🙂 The photos and the words. Lovely ❤ 🙂

2. kathybarnitz says:

Can’t decide if your words or pictures are more beautiful. Thank you…..

3. Fabio says:

Fantastic, Julie! 🙂

What I think is that you consistently take beautiful photos

5. Beautywhizz says:

Beautiful hollyhocks and Fritillary butterfly.

Oh what a beautiful post. Thank you for your lovely thoughts and gorgeous pictures.

7. Aggie says:

Purple martins built a nest in the eaves of our carport, which functions as our outdoor covered porch. They are such agile flyers, so fascinating to watch, and tormented the cats by dive bombing them.

8. Jardin says:

Beautiful post and photos!

Hello there, Thanks for your nice compliment. I love the thrilly happy feeling I get when I take the time to stop and discover the beauty that fills this place I call home. Thanks for visiting.

What a wonderful way to start the day! Thanks Julie!

10. amaryllislog says:

What a great way to start my day, thank you for all this beauty!

Life is full of beauty isn’t it? If we just stop and take the time to look. I know you see it. It is evident in your lovely drawings.

Love your beautiful photos and words!

12. Cynthia says:

Beautiful photos and story. Happy I started my day here…this post leaves me with such a nice feeling

13. b12alley says:

I was thinking of your blog this morning, as I walked the garden. You and I are kindred spirits. Your photos show a slow and steady walk, a quiet way, a thoughtful sense and an eye for beauty. As I was sitting thinking about my new life as a blogger, a bald eagle flew over. She was too high to photograph, but I needed to see her majesty. I returned to my house carrying cucumbers in one hand and a camera in the other. My next blog will be “My Daddy’s Garden.” I think you will like it. Follow the Flower.

I’m positive I will like your next post. Yours is a lovely blog. Oooh, how I’d love to see a bald eagle. I actually drove my camera and I to an eagle spot this past spring, but alas they were not there. Spotting an eagle has become a personal challenge for me. That’s the thing about blogging. I’ve learned those hoped for photographs do materialize if one spends time in nature observing. Great talking to you Follow the Flower.

• b12alley says:

You are sharing peace and beauty. I am so thankful I stumbled upon that peafowl icon. I play “Name that Bird” and “Name that Flower” on my Nook when I can’t sleep. It seems we are connected by flowers and birds. Follow the Flower!

I did not know there was such a thing. I can’t wait to try your games. Thanks for sharing.

Wonderful post. Love the pictures and thoughts that seem to meander down a garden path.

15. Shona says:

These photos are fantastic. Great blog!