A Journey North

June 28, 2015

I spent a short 24 hours, 4 hours north, in northern Michigan.

Northern MIchigan is rugged in winter, but when winter finally recedes, the quaint villages and lovely beaches are popular summer havens.

0001dZ

sunset over Lake Charlevoix in Boyne City

Nestled among a grove of mature white birch, this cottage on the shore of Lake Charlevoix has been passed down from generation to generation in my husband’s family.

I’m no poet, but this is such a lovely spot, a poem came out of nowhere.

0001Q5

I guess since I bravely shared that with you all, I am now, forevermore, a poet.

There’s nothing like blogging for immediate gratification.

We spent the wee morning hours watching my son and stepdaughter run a marathon in the village of Charlevoix.

So proud of them.

And grateful to get up to this spectacular sunrise.

The lovely Charlevoix is decorated with petunia-lined streets and pansy-filled window boxes.

It is home to a group of architecturally unique homes known as mushroom houses.

Though modernized homes, their hobbit-like appearance seems other-worldly.

Near the marina sits a Charlevoix hot spot. . .

0001nK

a lively bouncing fountain. . .

which draws giggly children. . .

0001TT

like the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

00016G

If you ever get the chance, northern Michigan is a great place to visit.

Sorry, no peacocks on the lake, so I give you this. Thanks for visiting.

1. Lynne Hall says:

Loved your photos as always, they are so wonderful! And now, my dear Julie, you are a poet! Loved it!

2. Aggie says:

I love those mushroom houses! We don’t have enough rocks around here, or I’d be wanting one.

One of your best ones yet!

Another lovely record of a lovely trip

5. Fabio says:

Poetry… In words and images! Bravo, dear Julie! 🙂

Fantastic! Your images are beautiful. Those mushroom houses look very interesting. I do hope I can visit this area of the US one day.

I love the photo of the outstretched hands and the droplets of water. The cottage IS like a hobbit home. The place must surely feel magical.

8. bluestempond says:

I generally don’t resonate with poetry but I liked your little one. Your pictures make me feel like taking a road trip up north.

Forgive my late response. I thought I responded earlier but must have missed the ‘send’ button. Thank you for liking my little one.

9. AmyRose says:

OH, Julie, how I enjoyed this post and your images!!! Those cottages are truly magical looking as are every single one of your photographs. How I yearned to step into your sunrise shots …. oh wow, just incredible, and the sense of wonder and peace overcame me. My Life is just in a phase I am not able to travel, but someday that shall change. I travelled through your post, and for this I really really thank you. It looks to me you had a truly wonderful time!!!! Good for you! Love, Amy ❤

You definitely get it. “It’ being beauty. Yes, that sunrise had me buzzing with serene joy. I hope your circumstances change and you can travel soon. I imagine your lens and you could do spectacular things on a trip.

10. AmyRose says:

And your poem ….. beautiful!!! YES! Your deep ability to connect to your emotions and to Mother are very evident in your words. Keep writing, I encourage you!!! ❤ (I was editing my comment above when it posted. LOL Go figure!)