Could You? Would You? Eat Your Weeds?

July 2, 2015

A great quote by Dr. Seuss:

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.

0001dc

I’m a photographer. I notice beauty.

I admit to noticing lush green lawns, but I don’t see beauty.

I admit to noticing weedless gardens full of perfectly formed blooms, without a pest or gardener in sight, but I don’t see beauty.

Why?

0001G0

It looks like death to me.

Pesticides and herbicides are killing our little creatures.

Frogs are disappearing at alarming rates.

IMG_2085

Very few bees are buzzing in our blooms.

I spend time in the blooms searching for photographs; I’m here to tell you our blooms are quiet.

Way too quiet.

0001rz

Did you know some plants require bees for fertilization?

Milkweed pollen is sticky, it requires the leg of an insect for fertilization.

No bees means no milkweed.

No milkweed means no king.

0001uN

last year’s 4th generation Monarch

What can be done?

It’s simple. . .

grow some weeds,

STOP using pesticides and herbicides in your lawns and gardens,

buy organic.

If organic is too expensive for you, learn about your weeds, and then?

Eat them.

The milkweed stalk,

flower buds,

seedpods,

0001Yx

and even fluff is edible.

The fluff is so coveted by some they actually can it for use in the winter.

Do not eat without proper preparation. Milkweed contains a toxin and must be boiled several times before eaten.

IMG_1990

Could

you?

Would

you?

Eat

your

weeds?

I didn’t know that about milkweed. We do have many bees, though. I guess we are lucky. More good pics as usual

2. Lucy says:

Amazing pictures! Nature is so beautiful to watch! Bees are a sign of a healty environment, so it’s great to see them so close 🙂

Watching nature is absolutely my favorite thing to do. Somehow it raises my vibration to joy even when life is difficult. Thanks for your nice comment and for visiting.

Liked by 2 people

3. Aggie says:

Your photos bring joy… On a recent walk, I tasted everything that looked edible along the overgrown fencelines. There was a lot of stuff out there!

4. amaryllislog says:

Yes I would eat my weeds, they are clean and free of pesticides. Thank you for that reminder. A world in balance has weeds and bugs. And thank you for your beautiful photography! Its brightened my morning.

5. Amy Saab says:

Amazing…I pulled up these strange flowers, on the side of the road, in the country, a few years ago. I thought the flowers were so cool. I had no clue as to what it was. I’ve had people on my blog tell me it was milkweed, but NOW i know for sure! Mine lives in my raised flower beds, but its blossoms are creamy white. I’m glad to now know how important they are, thanks to you! ~amy

6. b12alley says:

This Jewelie, is why people love you. I will be doing a Weeds post later with song lyrics to sing as you weed. Kind of like a battle hymn. Not nearly as cute as this. We are kin across the prairie. Stay real precious peacock.

I’ve eaten milkweed! Yes, you need to boil to get the bitterness out. Young nettle leaves make tea. Add wild rose petals to salads and steam young dandelion greens. As a species we seem to have forgotten that we are interdependent, part of the web of life that laces our planet. We cannot destroy nature and expect to survive. Lovely pictures of what is at stake..

8. dayphoto says:

They say bumble bees are also disappearing at an alarming rate. I try to do my part as much as possible…I so love this world and the creatures of it.

Linda

I sure would. We have one here called sow thistle or puha and the leaves are eaten by the Maori. We are so lucky with our bees. Lots of bumbles, wool carder bees, paper wasps .. And a neighbour has Some hives. Wonderful images too. Oh we are organic .. Which always makes me feel good!

Hi Julie,
      That’s great you are organic and from what I see yours is one lovely spot. Nice to know organic works. Thanks for stopping by. It’s always nice to hear a croak from the frog pond.

10. poetsmith says:

Thank you for visiting my blog. You have a keen eye for details as seen in your photos, very interesting! Lovely blog on nature… Regards, Iris 🙂

11. Nancy Mehuys says:

Superrrrr Julie !!!!! Very great captures

12. srickman2014 says:

Very interesting, and food for thought!

I’ve read there is a town in China that has to fertilize their apple trees by hand due to lack of bees. I hope this doesn’t become a trend for future generations. Thanks for your nice comment.

13. cindy knoke says:

Love the post and the photos, and yes I could eat weeds!

14. Judy @ NewEnglandGardenAndThread says:

So far I’ve limited my weed eating to dandelions. 🙂 I’m sure most folks understand no bees no food, no food no humans.