Beans In My Bonnet

July 11 2015

There is something about a farmhouse porch which beckons long rocks in a rocking chair with a favorite book and ice cold lemonade. The Peacock Prairie farmhouse has both a front and back porch.

The front porch looks out over the prairie towards the sunset.

The back porch looks out over the pond towards the sunrise.

Yesterday while visiting on the back porch with my Aunt, she asked a disturbing question, “This is such a lovely spot. Do you sit here often?”

“No,” I confessed, “only with company. I’m too busy to sit.” This immediately got me thinking about that which has occupied much of my time–

beans,

beans,

and more beans.

After giving a bag to friends and cooking a hefty pot, these are the leftover beans from one morning’s harvest.

I saw her disappointed look.

Attempting to erase that look, I said, “But I’ve got 10 bags of beans in the freezer.”

“Beans?” was all she said.

Shortly thereafter, this quote, by A. H. Almaas, found it’s way to my beany brain:

The absence of purpose is the essence of play.

0001qI

I looked at those words –‘absence of purpose’– like a puppy looks at calm.

I looked at my porch. . .

beautiful.

I looked at my rocker. . .

empty.

I looked at my beans. . .

heaping with purpose.

Ditching that heap, I went out and sat in the rocker. Bluebirds landed on the nearby feeder. The scent of freshly cut hay hung in the air. A fish jumped in the pond. A wood thrush sang in the nearby woods.

Like a child at play I thoroughly enjoyed those moments of aimless rocking, so much so, that ‘absence of purpose’ has been added to my daily agenda.

00011i

Ditch

the

beans.

Put

joy

in

your

bonnet.

1. Fabio says:

Wow, Julie! A treasure your view from the back porch! Another treasure the way you intercalate photos and your writing! And a golden decision to add ‘absence of purpose’ to your busy daily schedule! Again, another lovely post! Thank you!

Love the idea of “absence of purpose”. Do you think that relates to the power of now?

Hmmm. . .definitely rocking in that chair was opening to the power of now, but the power of now also brings new meaning to the beans as well– the robust green texture fresh from the sunshine. I think beans are a lot like laundry. The joy is there if I know how to find it. Thanks for the thought provoking comment, dear Lynne.

3. oakcoveresort says:

Beautiful sentiments, Julie. And thoughts well taken. Purpose is what drives us to get up early in the morning to go out into the mission field of our unique little resort. The people ARE our purpose. When we lose that idea and let the “Beans” become important than the people, we’ve lost our way AND our purpose. Your blog is always a quiet reminder of the gifts God gives us each day, if we will only take the time to enjoy this green earth in the greatest nation in the world on God’s glorious planet.

It’s so nice to hear your beautiful thoughts. ‘People are your purpose’– there is no better. I followed a young man biking with a t-shirt bearing your resort’s name. What a great way to advertise. It gave me a smile to think of you.

4. Aggie says:

Play=absence of purpose. Very helpful… Please post photo of your porches and rockers, which are some of my favorite things.

Beautiful. But you need you beans too

Very good advice, you spent so much time putting your house in the perfect position, you need to enjoy the results. It is really no different then sitting down to dinner and enjoying the fact that you grew the vegetables. BTW, I heard your beans are delicious!

7. oakcoveresort says:

Julie, you mentioned our worker? They are purpose for us. The 23 teens that come every day. What a mission! We have had over 700 teens working in our 42 years here and we love each one for their undiscovered gifts. And PLAY? I find that most purposeful because today’s youth have forgotten how to do it. It’s an art which you have acquired with your camera and your blog. How wonderful for you child and the child in you. When children visit here, tech stuff is forgotten and they learn to roam and appreciate frogs, minnows, sand and each other. That is an art. See FB page. Waiting for you and Richard to come with your little guy for a peek. Have a beautiful beanless day.

As a child, roaming the countryside with a pack of brothers and sisters was my favorite thing to do. Today I fear the tug of technology is taking that away from our children. It’s nice to know yours is a place where that is forgotten. Your influence is great with that many teens in your history– what a wonderful mission. Thanks for your comment.

8. Marla aka Crazy Mom says:

I find that I look soooo forward to summer, then often get too busy to enjoy it! Summer is definitely made to be enjoyed.

The thing about summer is there are so many things to do, and I love them all. It flies by way too quickly. In a way, photography forces me to stop and enjoy it even more. Blessings to you.

Lovely photos and reflections, as always. I love the idea of spending a bit of every day with an “absence of purpose.” I think this afternoon, I might indulge. Thanks

I wonder will characters pop into your time of reflection? With your imagination, it would seem a time of reflection could mean a lot of visits from your imaginary friends. Thanks for visiting.

10. Cynthia says:

Yayyy!! I’ve booked ‘the absence of purpose’ into my daily schedule too. Beautifully written..as always and your home is so beautiful. I am happy you are giving yourself a little rocking time to soak it all in. Thanks for another lovely post

11. Barbara Anne Alden says:

Totally enjoyed your blog. Interesting thoughts and ideas too!

12. Lucy says:

Wow, Julie! So much beauty around you. You’re very lucky!