Cicadian Rhythm

July 18, 2015

Like a long dotted line the song of the cicada floats across the prairie.

0001jM

With seasoned awareness, old timers announce, “Six weeks till frost.”

00012g

So soon?

In the stifling heat with humidity thick as steam, it’s difficult to believe frost is so near. But Mother Earth is dependably predictable in her transformation. She’ll give one final surge, the harvest, and then settle down for a well-deserved rest.

Speaking of harvest– look at my organic vegetable garden:

It’s thriving!

This tomato, which planted itself (from last year’s dropped seed), is almost as tall as the corn!

I’d like to brag about last night’s dinner. Everything in green was fresh from the garden.

salad: buttercrisp lettuce, kale, cucumber, tomato, dressing

fruit: mother’s red rasberries

side dish: kohlrabi, ranch dressing

main dish- frittata: hash brown potatoes, leek, green pepper, yellow squash, basil, gorgonzola cheese, eggs, salt, pepper

dessert- zucchini crisp: 8 cups (yes!) zucchini, plus ingredients for crisp.

Here is a link to the zucchini crisp recipe: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/zucchini-apple-crisp

So delicious!

So what’s the secret to my lush bountiful organic garden?

There are many:

Disease and pests– It has powdery mildew, wilt, black-spotted yellow leaves on tomatoes, potato bugs, japanese beetles.

Very little water– 4 times all summer.

Mulch, mulch, and more mulch– After I cut the surrounding grass, I rake it up and surround each plant with mulch.

A yellow beach ball with predator eyes to scare the peacocks away.

And the most important?

0001bt

LOVE!

While I weed, I radiate love to all my vegetables. This is no joke. I really believe it is key to a lush garden.

And the most amazing thing about radiating love to vegetables?

They radiate back.

I can feel it. Not only from the vegetables I eat, but also from the uplifted feeling I get while kneeling in those greens.

Radiate

love

and

watch

it

return.

1. Nurse Kelly says:

Just beautiful – and your dinner sounds delicious!

2. Aggie says:

Enviable menu there! Wanna share that zucchini crisp recipe?

Hi Aggie. You reminded me I meant to do that. Reread the updated post for a photo and link to recipe. It’s amazingly good and a great way to use up the ever prolific zucchini. Enjoy!

You’re my kind of gardener, bugs and all. Lovely pictures and words. (The tree in front of my house is showing a little yellow in its leaves (sigh).

Summer flies by with so many things to do and all of them fun! It’s always hard to let go, but then comes Fall– a favorite of mine.

4. Beautywhizz says:

Beautiful words. Six weeks?? Way too early for me!

5. Marilyn says:

I decided I want to come to uouR house for dinner!!! Lol

6. Fabio says:

Fantastic, Julie! And the conversation with the land and the plants feeds your spirit, I am sure!

7. paarijaathampookkunn says:

“Radiate love and watch it return ” sounds amazingly true and lovely… Love to be here in ur beautiful blog… Its really refreshing….!!!

8. srickman2014 says:

Wonderful post! There is nothing better than food fresh from the garden! I am always looking for new ways to use zucchini; I am definitely going to try your recipe:)

Oh I got so excited and teary reading your post. You are so right! It is love .. I love my garden .. And plants and I get rewarded by lovely veg. How brilliant to grow all that produce from your own back yard! Pat yourself on the back! Yay