Butter

July 29, 2015

Look who I found hiding in the grass along the edge of the trail like a scene out of a Beatrix Potter book.

So adorable.

woodchuck

He lives along the shore of the pond near the pine woods. Hope (my puppy) and I walk through his territory daily. Many times I have rescued him from the threat of Hope’s jaws. On this day, Hope didn’t notice him and was far ahead on the trail.

As he stared intently into my eyes, I felt our spirits lock.

goldfinch

I think you are beautiful, I said with my eyes.

Thank you for saving me, he said with his.

Queen Anne’s Lace

Something about his wild penetrating gaze made my heart melt like butter.

House Finch

Speaking of butter, it and a wee bit of salad dressing were the ONLY store bought items in my dinner last night!

Every other ingredient was fresh from the garden. I thought about adding some salt and pepper, but in my zest for living off the land, I decided to try it without.

The flavor of fresh-picked vegetables, sprinkled with fresh-picked herbs, and dripping with melted butter, made my taste-buds purr like a contented cat lazing in the sunshine.

Dill in my garden.

Yesterday, I concocted a fresh-from-the-land soup which also made my taste buds purr. Since I want my readers to beam with health, I  will share it with you. It contains the powerhouse vegetable, watercress, which is loaded with Vitamin K. New research is showing Vitamin K cleans out your arteries, so eat it and savor the flavor of youth flowing in.

Living Green Soup

• 1-2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 leek
  • 1 small can chicken broth
  • 3-4 medium sized red potatoes cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup of watercress
  • 1 cup of broccoli
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream

Soak watercress (especially if hand picked from creek) in salted water for 1/2 hour. Melt butter in soup pot over medium heat. Add leeks and cook till tender. Add chicken broth and potatoes. Cook till potatoes are tender. Add watercress and simmer till wilted. Puree in blender and return to pot. Add broccoli and simmer a few minutes till tender. Add cream. Enjoy!

I’m headed to the mountains of New York on vacation and leaving my computer behind. I will miss you all while I am gone but look forward to catching up upon my return.

Since this is yesterday morning’s cucumber crop (I pick every 2 days), I tremble to think what will happen during my absence.

Organic gardening– gotta love it!

Blessings to you all, and. . .

0001Uz

may

your

bread

be

buttered

with

purring.

Enjoy your vacation. I know about leaving a garden. We returned from Oregon to giant, seedy produce that had to be composted. They will be next year’s surprises in the garden. Stay safe Jewel.

Another enjoyable post. Have a good vacation

3. Nurse Kelly says:

So beautiful, Julie. I love Queen Anne’s Lace this time of year! Hope you have a great trip!

Cucumber picture made me laugh out loud! I am going to try and find watercress and make your soup! Thank you for another beautiful post. Have a great trip!

5. paarijaathampookkunn says:

Beatrix kid is quite adorable.. Lovely photos…lush of greenery…sigh..!! What i miss about here in this dessert…may u wl have a great happy vacation ahead… !!!

Love that last pic (truth is I love them all) .. That soup sounds amazing. I can grab watercress from the creek, but hadn’t heard about the salted water. Thanks for that! How good is being organic? Love it! Wonderful post as always

Have fantastic holiday 😃

8. amaryllislog says:

What an impresive post! Enjoy your vacation!

The picture of the woodchuck had me melting too. What an adorable face! When I used to live on a farm, we grew much of our own food and raised animals and it was such a delight to serve a meal of home-grown produce to the family. I most impressed by your organic food growing. The last pic with the peacock eating food made me laugh too. A beautiful post as usual. 🙂

10. Ida P. Krause says:

Very nice selection of photos. That woodchuck is a cute little fellow.

11. Iris@poetsmith says:

Have a great vacation! Lovely post, thank you. 🙂

12. Penny says:

We just made your recipe for watercress soup. It was delicious! Thanks!!