Where the Clear Water Runs

August 13, 2015

As I glide through crystal clear water on a private lake in the Adirondack mountains, the immense quiet seems to echo nothingness. This is in sharp contrast to the sweeping views before me.

In this land far removed from human interference, I expect more obvious wildlife activity.

But the creatures here are introverts as if the beauty that surrounds them requires no comment, only quiet reflection.

There are occasional sounds, but they are few and far between like. . .

the wailing call of the loons,

the sudden crash of a beaver’s tail near the water lily blooms,

the ‘zssst’ of alpine birds.

For the most part the creatures here are quiet,

solitary figures,

hiding in the shadows.

It is not the lavish display I am used to at home.

This cabin along the shore of Lake Mohegan is where I stay.

Built in 1895, it is part of a group of 16 buildings known as Camp Uncas. Other than the addition of modern conveniences, Camp Uncas remains pretty much as it was in the early 1900’s.

Or so I thought– until the well ran dry, and I realize all of the conveniences are not so ‘modern’.

picking raspberries

Imagine our surprise when we notify the camp director and he responds, “We need rain. The reservoir is probably empty. I’ll bring some biodegradable soap so you can wash in the lake.”

This adds a whole new dimension of fun to our trip– especially with the presence of many teenagers.

So, what is a reservoir?

It is these two buildings which sit atop a nearby mountain.

They collect water from underground springs which runs by gravity, through a pipe, to our camp– no electricity needed.

They have screens which appear to be early 1900’s originals. The screens keep the large bugs and animals out, but we do notice mosquitoes inside the reservoir.

And here is the problem– the reservoir is dry.

This is where our drinking water comes from– straight from here to our tap! I admit to noticing the delicious fresh taste of it prior to viewing this buggy reservoir, but traveling with physicians has convinced me to change to bottled water.

Fortunately by conserving water, we are eventually able to return to using our ‘modern’ conveniences.

This bump in the road adds much fun to our alpine adventure.

After all it’s not everyday, I get to bathe with the loons.

Goodbye Camp Uncas. I will miss you.

1. nateskyes says:

They Are all amazingly beautiful

2. estelea says:

Your pictures are simply stunning! You really made me want to visit this little gem, nature at its best. It all looks so quiet and peaceful.. best place to recharge your batteries I guess.. Greetings from the very hot Philippines!

More beautiful photographs, well captioned

4. amaryllislog says:

What a lovely peaceful place, thank you for capturing it in such beautiful images. I think maybe doing without is a good thing, makes you slow down a little which I imagine you enjoyed!

What a beautiful place and your photos are stunning! I’ll lived in places where we depend on wind to turn our windmill which draws up artesian water from deep underground to supply our house. Still months meant being extra careful with our water otherwise we’d be bathing with the cows in the small dam. 🙂 It was kind of fun though… Great post, Julie.

6. Ida P. Krause says:

Wow that looked like an amazing place to enjoy nature. – Loved your gorgeous photos. They were just wonderful.

Take me next time Jewelie. What a lovely adventure. I have never seen such a reservoir. Very interesting, as usual. Thank you for sharing.