Tea Time

November 6, 2015

If I could. . .

I’d light a crackling fire,

sit you down in a comfy chair with your favorite book and a view of the pond out back.

I’d crack a window to fill your ears with nature sounds–

the meandering leaf-swirling wind,

the Caw of a solitary crow.

I’d serve you a generous piece of warm spicy gingerbread. . .

and a cup of steaming coconut chai tea, with the perfect dash of vanilla rice milk,

and then?

I’d let you sit. . .

and simmer. . .

basking in November’s cozy infusion.

Want to feel happy? Fill your house with the aromatic smell of baking gingerbread.

**Hint: For added happiness, after smelling, eat.

Old-fashioned Gingerbread

• 1 2/3 cup flour
  •  1 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil

Lemon glaze

• 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9″ square baking pan. Stir together dry ingredients. Add egg, molasses, and oil. Stir in boiling water until smooth. Bake 35-40 minutes. While still hot, pour the lemon glaze over the top.

Snuggle

in

and

enjoy

November.

Prairie love heading your way. . .

catch it.

1. Beautywhizz says:

Sounds really cosy.

Such a beautiful post and photos ..😄

3. countrygirllifeonthefarm says:

Yummy, I can’t wait to make and try the gingerbread and the tea sounds divine!

You won’t be disappointed with the gingerbread. It’s a favorite with everyone here. Look for the tea at World Market. It’s expensive but worth every penny.

4. Nurse Kelly says:

Love! Thanks for the recipe! I will make it for sure! I love how you combine such beauty and appreciation for your world with healthy choices as well. We are kindred spirits, Julie! Hope you have a lovely weekend!

5. Trini Lind says:

Ooooh, I adore these photos!! 💖💖💖💖

Beautiful pictures and words!

Superb post, with what Lynne says.

That is the same coconut chai tea brand I drink! It’s lovely isn’t it? And the old-fashioned gingerbread recipe is very similar to the one my mother-in-law gave to me many years ago. She passed away from cancer so when I bake this cake and the smell fills my home, it’s a reminder for my children of time spent with her. This is a beautiful post. What a wonderfully warm welcome you’ve given us with words and pictures. 🙂

Thank you, Jane, for sharing your story about your mother-in-law. How lucky your children are to have the smell of gingerbread and memories of Grandma all wrapped up together. And what a surprise to learn you are drinking the same tea as me while living in Australia.

You are sooooo good. That is the cutest tea cup in the whole world. Thanks for the recipe.

10. AmyRose🌹 says:

Oh, Julie! What a heart moving post. There is so much beauty and Love and gentleness in your posts which I just so appreciate. Bless you for being YOU. And thank you for sharing YOU with us!! Love, Amy ❤

11. Georges 2679 says:

Merci pour ce beau reportage et ces superbes photos
    Bonne soirée et belle semaine
    Bisous

Mon fils de huit ans et moi avons un merveilleux temps à traduire la langue française. Merci pour la lecture. Mes bénédictions à vous. 🙂