The Visit

Spring was here,

0001ri

and then. . .

00019N

it wasn’t.

Along with the snow, my older son returned home for a week’s break from college.

Let the good times roll!

He used to be such a big part of my daily life, but now I sit on the periphery and watch.

Sometimes he asks for my help. . .

and I come running.

But most times he is ‘fine’ and doesn’t require my input.

The truth is– he is more than fine. In fact, he makes my heart swell with pride. He is a joy and blessing to me and so many others in this world. I am lucky to have such a son.

Overnight, the snow melts. Activities change.

The fishing is good. . .

till Hope decides to help.

000105

And overnight, once again, my older son is gone.

It all happened so fast.

I look at my younger son, growing taller everyday, quickly following in his brother’s footsteps. . .

suddenly time feels precious.

“Want to play?” I ask.

He does!

0001oG

That’s all from the prairie. It’s play time.

I loved every word and every photo. You calm me down. Thanks Jewely.

Oh what a lovely post .. Thanks for sharing your special place and feelings

3. Jill Proctor says:

What a beautiful post. Your photos are stunning!

I am continually surprised by the beauty I find in this small plot of land. Nature is the master creator. You are a close 2nd. šŸ™‚

4. janebuttery says:

What a beautiful reflection about your son. i know just how you feel about him coming home for a short time. Our youngest has been away a year( he is now 31). He changed from university to a job and now back to a college in Toronto where he has found his real interest. we are happy for him but I miss his presence so much.
    Enjoy your youngest.You have lovely thoughts and photos here/.

Liked by 2 people

Hi Jane, There is a part of a mother’s heart that stays with her children be they far or near. Thanks for reading and leaving such a thoughtful comment.

Poignant, how they grow and pass out of our lives to create their own nucleus. My eldest lives 3000 mi. away, so we rarely visit in person. At least there is telemedia, which is almost as good as in person, except that there are no hugs. šŸ˜‰

6. Fabio says:

Super, super, Julie! You took the best of your pens to write this. So precious! The images are perfect! Have a great weekend with your family! šŸ™‚

Our kids (like us) are part of the ever-changing passage of life. How lovely to recognize and cherish the gifts of each season šŸ™‚

8. Beautywhizz says:

Lovely, very personal post. Thank you for sharing.

9. oakcoveresort says:

Passages. A bittersweet time. More sweet than bitter, just hard to say goodbye to the little boy who is now a man. I’ve had two generations of that taste. Thanks for saying it so eloquently with your prose and photographs.

Thank you for this beautiful reflection. My two sons have now left home and my daughter will in the next year or two. It’s wonderful to see them growing up and becoming confident, independent adults but there is also a sense that time has gone way too quickly! x

Hi Jane,
      Of course, that’s what we want as parents to see them grow and thrive, but still hard to let go of the good old days. Enjoy these last few years with your daughter.

Your usual entertaining photographs and text

12. Gina says:

Love this. Time just keeps on, doesn’t it? You have a lot to be proud of with those 2 boys!

13. phoartetry says:

Lovely posy. Thank you for sharing a bit of your life. Even a partial empty nest is bitter sweet.

Connie

14. Brenda Davis Harsham says:

Lovely story. I don’t look forward to my oldest leaving home. I read your story on 12 x 12, and I thought I’d drop by and say hi.