Come Walk with Me

Down a two-trackin trail through the whispering pines
to the crest of a hill where the morning sun shines.

There at the top of a sycamore tree
a red-breasted robin acknowledges me.

His melody floats to the meadow below
that shelters the promise of spring’s early show.

A babble of bluebirds fly by in a whirl.
Rose-breasted softness beneath pastel swirl.

They flit and they flutter in waistcoats of blue
searching for breakfast above the morn’s dew.

0001IF

A long-legged frenzy and then a shrill cry
allows me to capture the red in an eye.

0001sY.jpeg

I stroll past the thicket and high on a limb
a song sparrow trills its magnificent hymn.

Tweet. Tweet. Tweet. Triiiiiiiil.
Sweet. Sweet. Sweet. Thriiiiiil.

A crescendo of longing emits from the swamp,
as I step ever closer, where peepers do tromp.

DSCN6716.JPG

Their deafening chorus fulfills my desire
uplifting my soul ever higher and higher.

Peep. Peep. Peep. Peep. Peep. Peep. Peep. Peep. Peep. Peep.

******

Bypassing multitudes of revisions, blogging allows me to create a draft, promptly publish, and immediately bask in your praise. Thank you for that.

That’s all from the Peacock Prairie poet. Have a good day!

IMG_1999

1. Whitney Hagen says:

Very nice, Julie. Thank you!

This is a wonderful ode to spring – a delight to walk with you. 🙂 Love the first shot of ‘boy and his dog,’ so heartwarming!

3. Jodi says:

a lovely “walk” 🙂

4. oakcoveresort says:

And what a great brilliant entry to see on an overcast day. A harbinger of what’s to come.

All of this is here now. I have been feeding the bluebirds and robins dried mealy worms. So fun to watch them flit about. LOVE watching the summer birds appear. Thanks for your nice comment Susan.

You are the Queen. No revisions needed. Love it..as usual.

6. anotherday2paradise says:

This is a pure delight to read and your photos are wonderful. I especially love that sweet songbird. 🙂

7. janebuttery says:

Julie, you have caught the essence of spring’s awakening through the birds and the sond the sparrow sings.marvellous pictures again.You are fantastic.Thanks for brightening a dull day here in Ontario.

8. Marcia says:

Love it, Julie. I really felt as if I was walking with you, listening to the birds, and hearing the peepers.

Welcome spring! Love the birds you captured in your photos. Your words seem like lyrics to a song!

10. sjc says:

Beautifully written! I love that frog picture!

Hello, It took a lot of patience to capture that frog. They are smart little creatures. I had to sit completely still, dressed in brown, for what seemed an eternity (though actually about 10 minutes). Even the movement of focusing the camera would scare them away. So, yes I love that frog picture as well. Thanks for your visit.

11. Brenda Davis Harsham says:

Julie, I love this, and I tweeted it. I love your comment about wearing brown clothes and how long it took to get the frog picture. You are a dedicated naturalist.

12. phoartetry says:

A perfect walk Julie. Thank you for inviting me,

Connie

13. Val says:

Gorgeous as ever, particularly the sweet little bluebird.

Hi Val, We are lucky to live on the back side of a hay field. The bluebirds love to frolic and play. I lure them close with mealy worms. Since I am enamored with them, expect lots of photos this season.

Thank you, Julie. Just what I needed to cheer me this evening after saying goodbye for the last to our 16 year old dog. x

15. Amy says: