Serenity

This morning in the vegetable garden, under a canopy of brilliant blue, surrounded by a chorus of jenny wrens, bluebirds, and song sparrows, I planted miracles. As I dropped the tiny, almost imperceptible, seeds into the soil, I was confident they would eventually transform, by some mysterious miracle, into crunchy lettuce.

Many of you think I live a Tasha Tudor life. You imagine me tucked away in paradise, writing and snapping photographs, amidst birdsong . . .

0001q9

rose-breasted grosbeak

and blooms.

And in many ways, you are right. On a good day, that is just what I do.

But there is much about writing that goes unseen. When I began pursuing publication, I assumed my experience entertaining children through my hobby, marionette theater, would quickly guarantee my success.

0001MB

A few of my handmade marionettes– proof of my creativity.

3+ years and 41!! rejections later, I know better.

Writing is not for the weak of heart. I sit for hours and hours glued to my computer screen, pondering each and every word, revising and revising and revising . . .

And then, after literally hundreds of revisions, I send my precious manuscript out to my critique group for review, and . . .

IMG_4387.JPG

female baltimore oriole

they rip it to shreds.

DSCN8912.JPG

I have learned to relish the ripping, for a fresh set of eyes improves my vision. And so, once again, I find myself revising and revising and revising . . .

Finally, confident the manuscript is the best it can be, I write a cover letter and submit.

Seasons pass . . .

0001of.jpeg

and then?

Another rejection.

You may wonder, why continue?

I guess I feel like those lettuce seeds. It’s what’s in me. My ‘crunch’ will come.

Live your dreams, precious prairie people.

IMG_1116.JPG

All photos and words property of Peacock Prairie.

1. Jill Richards Proctor says:

I love your miracle garden…just know the seeds will bloom. I won’t even tell you how many rejections I’ve had in the last 3 1/2 years! It’s obvious your words come from your heart…and they will find a way into an editor’s heart (as well as mine and many others). Love this post…and your INCREDIBLY gorgeous peacock photo! All eyes are on you. Miracles happen.

Hi Jill, Yes miracles do happen. After all, I have you, an amazingly talented and gifted soul, as a critique partner. You are responsible for the ‘relish’ in my rippings. 🙂

2. Trini Lind says:

Ooooh, I looooove this!!! 💖💖💖

3. Amy says:

Gorgeous! 😍👏👏👏

4. countrygirllifeonthefarm says:

Your posts are great and pictures awesome! You are totally getting it. Time and perserverence will pay off!

Ah yes, the writer’s story is so familiar, Julie. And so we persist for the beauty of the creative journey, even the parts that hurt. Lovely photos from your Tasha Tudor garden on the prairie. A pleasure always.

6. Michelle Kogan says:

How true your words are, hitting so close to home.
    Love your metaphor of seeds and growth, we writers are driven as the seeds we plant each season continue to sprout. Thanks for sharing your marvelous marionettes!

Wonderful post!

8. Julie says:

Hi Julie, your sunny optimism made me smile, you are absolutely right, live your dream and enjoy the journey too! 🙂

I was thinking about you this morning, while in my car waiting for my daughter. I am lost professionally right now and I wondered if you had any success with your writing. Your words have always been special and your photos are perfection. If views were money we would be rich, but I feel richer because the only way I know some of my favorite people is through my blog. You are all far away physically, but close to my heart. Keep your “crunch” young lady.

And the marionette is adorable. I love the fairy. I am still working on my fairy garden which keeps getting flooded and needs a moat. I found another piece of fairy garden statuary today in a junk store. Someday soon I will share the magic. Keep the faith. You are a JEWEL.

Your usual visually and verbally beautiful post. I hope the rejections cease

12. Georges 2679 says:

Elles sont superbes tes photos….Bonne journée

13. Brenda Davis Harsham says:

You’ve just described my life, too!! OMG Do you mind if I reblog? Your post is perfect. Heart-break, beauty and perseverance. Yay!

14. Brenda Davis Harsham says:

Reblogged this on Friendly Fairy Tales and commented:
    Julie has illustrated the writing journey I am on myself with such beauty and precision (and a FAIRY!) that I asked most humbly to reblog and she agreed. YAY! Have a magical day!

15. Eddie Two Hawks says:

This is no doubt in my mind that your blog including your photos and your thoughts, are well worth viewing.

The journey is never over. Besides, what would we do if it was? We’d be bored silly!
    As always, LOVE your photos. ❤

17. reocochran says:

First of all, Brenda shared you but I am a rather slow blogger, make my rounds once in awhile. I enjoyed seeing the beautiful marionette, she has such a pretty dress on in bright colors (my favorites are peach and orange, I wear them often!) I also felt your “pain” because I have literally written and rewritten my four or five stories and sent them out the old fashioned way, copies by SASE. Now I know that is crazy to trust them to come back! I also have done hundreds of children’s picture names which vary from monkeys, bunnies, children, dogs, etc. The themes are endless and I give them for gifts or sell them for pittance. I like the ending where you feel you have Hope while sprinkling lettuce seeds, you will get your lettuce reward, but you also, Hopefully, will get your “Crunch!” with a bite from an editor someday. Sending you serene waves of peaceful hope! Hugs, Robin

Hi Robin, Nice to meet you. Oh for a crystal ball to look ahead and answer the nagging question– will I succeed? Funny thing is if I looked ahead and saw naught but failure, I would still want to write. Good for you to sell children’s picture names. That sounds interesting. Thanks for the nice comment. Hugs to you.

18. Rachel Federman says:

Working on a mindful gardening book. Love your work here. Thank you.