Cascades of Old-fashioned Creamy Pink Roses

Tucked away in my memories like old lace in the linen closet are childhood visits to the neighboring farmhouse. Climbing the secret stairs under towering maples, my siblings and I knew to circle round to the back porch in search of chewy oatmeal chocolate-chip cookies and a coveted visit. In June, the perimeter of the old farmhouse bloomed in cascades of creamy pink roses,

their fragrance as treasured as the cookies and camaraderie we sought.

As many of you longtime followers know, a few years back, the farmhouse was uprooted and rolled . . .

00026W

to a nearby hayfield, now known as Peacock Prairie.

the prairie

At the time of this venture, only a few scraggly roses remained; their shoots clutching Β the window shutters like feebleness clutches a walker.

0001v0.jpeg

Anticipating their further demise, with the pending ‘uplifting’ project,

the perimeter during preparation for moving

I transplanted a small thorny shoot in the old cow pen.

Unbeknownst to me, the soil in the cow pen would ignite passion and youthful vigor at beanstalk speed.

And so now, two years later, the breeze near the farmhouse once again blows fragrant with the scent of old-fashioned creamy pink roses.

And what of the farmhouse perimeter?

It blooms . . .

Mother’s iris

peonies

foxglove

the first of the hollyhocks

coreopsis

oh, how it blooms.

BUT, unbelievably, that’s not all. There’s more to the blooming farmhouse story.

Due to the fact no chemicals of any kind are sprayed on its lawn or gardens, and the mower is purposely maneuvered around promising clumps of budding weeds,

tangled tendrils of purple vetch and clover

lucky clover

the farmhouse lawn blooms in wildflowers!

What a world it is . . .

in the embrace of June.

Hugs, from the Prairie.

0001CQ

All words and photos property of Peacock Prairie.

So soothing. Like on-line therapy. Thanks PP Princess.

2. Nick Rankin says:

Julie, I have such great memories of the beauty and wonderful smell of those old-fashioned roses that grew outside grandma’s bedroom windows. I would love to get a cutting from you sometime so I can plant it at my new house and be reminded of her when they come into bloom. Thanks for preserving another part of our family history at your Peacock Prairie homestead!

3. Cathy Ogren says:

Beautiful post!

Such beautiful photos and quite an adventure. When I lived in Vermont, we stopped haying our field and within a few years we had a meadow that was constantly flowering and full of wildlife. Lovely post, Julie πŸ˜€

5. Jill Richards Proctor says:

Loved your blooming story and softly rich photos! Felt like I was there to enjoy the smells and beauty of PP. Thanks for sharing.

6. oakcoveresort says:

Simply beautiful story and an well executed refurbish down to the very last detail and root. Love it.

I was thinking of you just this morning and am glad to see your post! What a endearing tale of the rose rescued from demolition. Everything is looking so beautiful at PP!

Hi Eliza, Nice to think of you thinking of me. It makes me wonder what you were thinking. Thanks for your visit and your thoughts.

• Eliza Waters says:

Good things, of course! I was thinking I hadn’t seen a post recently and wondering what your garden and nearby meadows were looking like. πŸ™‚ And just like that, you delivered!

8. Nurse Kelly says:

Just stunning, Julie!

9. Georges 2679 says:

Superbes photos

Oh I loved this post! So beautiful .. Flower heaven! Thank you so much .. Big smiles your way πŸ˜ƒ

11. Brenda Davis Harsham says:

What a fertile place to root the roses! Great post!

12. Amy says:

This is incredible.These rose and flowers, Wow! Thank you for sharing this great post, Julie! πŸ™‚

13. Julie says:

Julie, your garden is so beautiful, I had not realised your home had been been moved. Your ‘weeds’ are stunning, I’d love a lawn like yours please the roses!

14. Julie says:

Oops! Plus the roses, but please will do nicely too. πŸ™‚

15. Ann Coleman says:

I’m a newer reader, so I didn’t realize you had moved your house to it’s present location! How nice that the plants bloomed again!