Wild Blackberry Banter

My first reaction to a situation tells me a lot about me.

*******

If you were to unexpectedly drop by Peacock Prairie late in the morning, ideally this would be my reaction:

Dog barks.

I stop my writing and look up from my computer.

Someone’s here. Who could it be?

Pre-showered, in a mis-matched outfit, I peek out the window.

female baltimore oriole

Oh . . .
it’s you,
beautiful you!

delphinium with hollyhocks in the background

I throw open the door. “Good morning! What a wonderful surprise! Give me a hug. It’s so nice to see you. I was just about to have a cup of peppermint tea and a wild blackberry muffin. Would you care to join me?”

female red-winged blackbird

“You would! Wonderful!” I clear the clutter off a chair. “Make yourself at home while I run out back to pick the peppermint, and then we’ll have a nice chat.”

The above is the reaction I’d like to have, but . . .

delphinium

in reality, my reaction would be more like this:

Dog barks.

I stop my writing and look up from my computer.

Oh no, someone’s here. I haven’t showered. This place is a disaster.

I peek out the window.

Yikes, it’s you.

you

I sigh and scramble, gathering piles of clutter. One disappears into the dishwasher, another into the dryer. (Yep)

Smoothing my hair, I open the door. “Hello! What a surprise. Won’t you come in?”

Oh shoot– you will.

sweet peas

Puffs of dog hair swirl round our ankles like tumbleweeds as we step over the vacuum. Your eyes immediately begin to wander.

Oh no you don’t. Don’t you dare look there . . .

Hastily I open the back door. “Let’s sit on the porch. The flowers are lovely this time of year.”

Get your eyes off that dust, you rascal. Look at me. LOOK AT ME.

delphinium

“Here, you take the rocker. It’s got the best view of the flowers.”

You sit and begin to rock.

sit beside you, attempting to settle my thoughts . . .

my gaze rests on the garden . . .

Yikes! I forgot about the . . .

black-eyed susan

WEEDS!

Many.

Many.

Many WEEDS.

It’s no use. I give up.

“Those weeds,” I say, “will bloom beautifully.”

To which you politely respond,

“Yes, I’ve read about that in your blog.”

“Would you like a glass of water? I can put ice in it.”

******

Sometimes who I am and who I want to be differ. Why do I feel the need to pretend? Dog hair, dust, dishevelment– these do not define me. My spirit defines me. When I remove my focus from myself, and put it upon you, everyone wins. Why do I forget?

******

1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream

Fold in:
1 1/2 cups fresh wild blackberries
1/2 cup pecans

Preheat oven 400. Fill 12 paper-lined muffin cups. Bake about 20 minutes.

hollyhocks which grew from last year’s seeds

Wild blackberry blessings to you, Prairie folk. Have a ‘real’ day.

All photos and words property of Peacock Prairie. Thank you.

1. Beth says:

What a wonderful blog post!!! I wish I could be so free. I’ve enjoyed it very much 🙂

Ah, so despite the stunning beauty and exquisite words on your blog, you are human. Good to know, Julie, as I wade through dog hair in my midday pjs and head outside to water my weeds…I mean, garden…water my garden. 😀

Yes, Diana, I am definitely human. Ironically I, too, find my blog exquisite and stunningly beautiful. In fact, I often visit and read old posts to escape my reality. Thanks for reading. Your weeds– I mean garden loves you.

3. oakcoveresort says:

You are so cute and real, Julie. Just like the Velveteen Rabbit, I love your story. It is our collective story.

4. Val Boyko says:

I’ve never met a creative person who is tidy! 😃

GREAT post, Julie! You reveal the truth of so many of us. I had to laugh about trying to whisk visitors out to the gardens! Why do we worry about being judged? Most folks call first, giving us a chance to tidy and retain our dignity. 😉 But sometimes family (my brother and his super meticulous wife) stop by, “We were just driving by…” and I am mortified. But then I lift my chin and think, “This is the truth of who I am right now, love it or leave it!” ❤

6. Beautywhizz says:

Beautiful hollyhocks, one of my favourites.

You are so precious. I appreciate this post, especially today. I have been gone for a week and I also have weeds and bunny-hair tumbleweeds. Reading your blog is more important to me than cleaning. I feel sorry for those who have nothing better to do than keep house. Viva la mess!

Hello Ms. Flower, Did you know your comments stick with me and leave me chuckling long after? Thank you for adding post-post enjoyment to my day.

8. Jodi says:

Of course we can ALL relate Julie!!!! Thanks so so much for sharing and bring a smile to my face in recognition of all of those conflicting thoughts and emotions I experience too!!!! ❤

9. Barb Alden says:

Priceless! Loved the pictures and the truth about what happens in our homes. It’s so refreshing to see it in words!

10. Lorraine says:

Ah, woulda, coulda, shoulda. The weeds and dust bunnies mean you have taken the time to stop and smell the roses. Wise woman.

11. Cathe says:

What a perfect summer’s day! Delightful!

12. Whitney Hagen says:

Beautifully put, Julie!

13. Lorraine says:

Am looking forward to making these muffins when my wild blackberries ripen and I get to some of them before the birds eat them all!

We are loaded with berries this year. They are smaller than some years probably because of the lack of rain, but they are extra good. Enjoy your muffins, Lorraine.

Love this post! I’m a shocker I do this .. When in reality a focus shift is the answer! If I came to your place .. I would be in heaven! Beautiful images and big hugs 😃

15. phoartetry says:

I like you spirit. Thank you for putting a smile on my face Julie. It’s what the doctor prescribed me.

16. Ann Coleman says:

I think there is always a difference between the person we are, and the person we want to be. Or at least think we want to be. But the older we get, then the more the person we want to be becomes the person we actually are, I think. Great post!

17. Donkey Driver says:

I thought I was the only one! 😀

18. Eddie Two Hawks says:

Weeds, the original never ending story.
    Fantastic photos, beautiful garden, love your posts

19. Amy says:

What a beautiful post, Julie! Flowers look so happy. Love the Peacock photo. 🙂

20. Jill Richards Proctor says:

“(Cat) hair, dust, dishevelment” – Me too! You’ve expressed my thoughts, exactly! Loved your words.
    Wild blackberry muffins sure caught my attention….then you INCLUDED THEIR RECIPE. Oh happy day!

21. Apple Hill Cottage says:

How did I miss this post? My sentiments exactly. We could visit each other and not pretend….:-)
    (Weeds are only weeds if they are growing where you don’t want them. I’ve been trying to practice liking them where they are..)