Michilimackinac

In the waters joining Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, near the bridge connecting Michigan’s lower peninsula to the upper peninsula, lies a hump-backed island named Michilimackinac by the Native Americans.

Mackinac Bridge

Michilimackinac, which has been shortened to Mackinac, means “place of the great turtle.”

The Grand Hotel and summer cottages on the West Bluff

Today the island resembles a turtle not only in shape but also in speed,

view from the Grand Hotel porch

for automobiles have been banned since 1898,

DSCN9025.JPG

humans are not the only beings to enjoy a carriage ride

transforming it into a popular vacation spot.

Fort Mackinac

Whether it be a sprawling victorian mansion,

beribboned in blue,

a luscious lemon dazzler,

a lattice-covered cottage,

a sequestered balcony,

a quaint village inn,

a historic landmark,

Native American boarding school

a stable,

or even the end of a walking trail,

the view from all locations is spectacular.

The surplus of horses provides ample organic fertilizer . . .

for lush . . .

lavish . . .

extravagant . . .

displays of color.

A photographer’s paradise.

But in the end, the part I enjoyed most was spending time with my family. That is the mark I left,

and the treasure I took from this trip.

No peacocks here, so this little guy will have to do. Happy day to you all.

All photos and words property of Peacock Prairie.

1. Georges 2679 says:

Magnifiques ces photos…de magnifiques fleurs…bonne soirée

Liked by 2 people

Oh what a gorgeous post! I don’t know where to start .. What a beautiful place .. And no cars! Perfect. The flower gardens are quite simply stunning. And the views! How I wish I lived closer .. What a great place to spend time with your family 😃

3. Nurse Kelly says:

Hi Julie! I was just there a couple of years ago for my daughter’s high school graduation. The two of us stayed at The Grand. Your photos are gorgeous! I just love the island and that whole area! Only complaint was the horses’ waste in the streets… but they kept up with it pretty well. Loved bike riding on the island and built a few rock cairns on the beach as well! Hope to make it back there again soon! Lovely post! 🙂

HI Kelly, What a wonderful place to celebrate a graduation, and a stay at the Grand– sure to be a special memory for you both. We were fortunate to eat lunch at the Grand with some relatives who were staying there. It was an all you can eat buffet. My 9 year old made 7 trips to the dessert table!!

• Nurse Kelly says:

We had breakfast there and were treated like royalty! A favorite movie of ours was “Somewhere In Time,” and my daughter had always wanted to visit the island… I surprised her with the stay at The Grand Hotel when we got there… she and I got into one of their carriages. It was magical! She is crying in the pictures! Thanks for the trip down memory lane! 🙂

This looks like my kind of place – the water views are stunning and if there are gardens galore, definitely!

Hi Eliza, There is something soothing about the clip-clop of horses as well. Oh, and did I mention the town is packed with fudge shops? And the land out of town is a state park with numerous hiking trails. It can’t be beat in my book.

Love this place! You captured it well!

Beautiful place. It looks right out of a story book!

Your usual artistry

8. Ann Coleman says:

What beautiful pictures! I have always wanted to visit Mackinac Island!

9. Steve Schwartzman says:

I’ve never seen this place in person but remember it from the movie “Somewhere in Time,” as a previous commenter mentioned:

10. Brenda Davis Harsham says:

I loved Mackinac Island when I was a kid. I’ve always wanted to go back.

11. cookingwithauntjuju.com says:

Thanks for sharing all your beautiful pictures of Mackinac Island. Just as I remember it and makes me want to go back.Funny, every Fall I get a letter from the Grand Hotel offering all of these bargains for rooms – one of these years I will follow through 🙂

We were fortunate to eat lunch there and enjoy the view from the porch. It was fabulous! But my favorite thing to do on the island is bike along the many trails away from the crowds. It’s a magical place. I hope you get to visit again soon. Thank you for your visit.